Archiveloper

News, Events and Trends for Software Architects and Developers

CSAF 2008 - Day 2 My Notes  

Day 2 in general is interesting... but when I found that Simon Guest won`t come tomorrow, a bit disappointed. For the full list of sessions videos, click here

KeyNote: EA - Everything Aligned
Gary Doucet from Government of Canada shared his insight in EA implementation. He emphasised that the enterprise architecture already exist in the enterprise... just not in a structure way...we need to make it coherent/align. The EA process should be a driver role to design the business process instead of just capturing the requirement, progressing from foundation, extended to embedded stage of the alignment between business process and architecture.

Panel: Identity Management
I joined this panel to see if I can get more idea to extend my existing Enterprise Application Security Framework. My current architecture still having a big missing piece, Identity Federation. There are a few very useful tips and experience sharing. It seems that there is no magic, non technical processes for building the identity meta model, identity life cycle, and work with the actual subject matter is a must... SAML based token can be used, only when the trust model across different business units exists.

Breakout: Malware Landscape Update & Security Defence Trends
Not too much to talk about, other than it drives me to looking for a better AV to install on my PC (Russian one should be better). I'm glad that Roger Grimes pointed out the importance of RBAC practices, which it plays a most important role in my Enterprise App Sec Arch. However, the presentation seem to be too much... words and slides, make it kind of lost what`s the most important, especially for the session just after lunch... z z Z Z

Breakout: Accessing Data on the MS Platform - Jamie Wakeam
This is the most interesting one today, although the demo is not very successful (still beta). The most interest one is the ADO.NET Entity Framework & ADO.NET Data Services to Ship with VS 2008 SP1 & .NET 3.5 SP1. Finally... MS get the ORM tool/framework. At the very beginning... I think it look like .netTiers/CodeSmith like code generation model, but one of our developers told me that it should like SubSonic, since Rob Connery join Microsoft since last year...

KeyNote: Dynamic IT at Microsoft
Talk about the similar things as of last year... The only surprise for me this year are those words like ecosystem, sustainable, carbon neutral data centre, which I used to it in Canada`s daily news, by the way my previous employer just become carbon neutral


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comments

  • Anonymous  
    April 13, 2008 at 4:38 PM

    Aaron,

    Sorry I wasn't able to make it to CSAF this year - I love the Canadian event, and was disappointed not to be able to make it. Hopefully they'll invite me back next year...

    -Simon
    http://www.simonguest.com

Post a Comment